Christmas 2019 saving money

My children are all ages 21-30 and our 21 year old said let's not exchange gifts for Christmas this year. Let's just spend the day together. 

I presented the idea to my oldest son who is the Chef of the family and is 28. He lives away from home with his girlfriend. He was really happy of the idea of spending the gift money on food.
He prepared a seafood boil for Christmas dinner and tossed it on the table of a newspaper table cloth. Everyone really enjoyed the meal. 
The whole preparation for the holiday was relaxed. It was great...no tree no pine needles... no deciding to buy a fake or real tree. But we didn't skimp on lights. We in the Northwest have the darkest days in December and it gets dark by 4:30 pm. So those pretty outside lights really boost our spirits. Well, at least I feel happier.

Grandma and Tom came to visit from Fountain of youth in Southern California; Tom is Grandma's life partner; she met square dancing. Tom is 86 and Grandma is 85. They are great for each other. I'm so happy that my mother-in-law found someone to spend her golden years together and go exploring in different countries.

So Grandma and Tom came to spend Christmas with us. She has 3 sons and 7 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. We are scattered around the U.S. and she likes to make her rounds to visit all of us.

I am extremely grateful for this petite, positive, loving, gracious, caring, sincere woman who is the Grandmother to my children and mother to me and of course my husband. As I say: I hit the jackpot with her!!!!

So Christmas came with a relaxed vibe. Eating a good meal and enjoying the day together. I would not have thought of celebrating Christmas this way; but since our youngest child suggested to experience Christmas with no presents. I decided it's time to go with it.

Christmas used to be a time of hypo mania...not full Manic Episode but high energy...not much sleep...over buying and shopping.  Over the years I have been much better...shopping with my husband to help control my insane over buying for presents. We made a list together for our kids and shopped together.  This gave me a calmer disposition. Before that I was shopping alone and buying random things and some really unique gifts. Here we are at a new chapter in spending time together. It's peaceful and calm.  Using money for other things feels pretty good too!!!

Comments

Popular Posts