Mrs. Brown informed me that Josh was going to stay after school for detention. The reason she gave me seemed absurd.  He had been eating chips in the hallway in between classes.  My thinking was why on earth do they have vending machines if they don't expect kids to buy from them and eat the chips.  Looking back more carefully he was in detention mostly for his attitude displayed when approached to please throw away his chips.  Josh is very much like me a rebel at heart and said, "no, I just bought these chips and I am going to finish them".

I had a pair of red cowboy boots and whenever I put those on I become a different person; suddenly I am empowered by these red cowboy boots to be tough and courageous.  I also had a black cowboy hat that I quickly put on before leaving the house and this meant I was going to be bad.

I was on a mission and going to get my boy and bring him home.  How dare they keep my son after school.  He was my son and I was going there to rescue him.  It was February 14th; what a lovely gift to give my husband for Valentine's Day.

Well, I charged into the office of the middle school and demanded to have my son returned to me.  Well Mrs. Brown was there in the office and I yelled give me my son back now and slammed my hand against the wall directly near her head. I then called her a flip flap...a made up racial slur that I created in the moment. All of this I would have never done if I had been on proper meds.  Then I did the Jeckle and Hyde thing and walked through the office into the school hall seeing the vice principal wearing his red tie to celebrate Valentine's Day and kindly shook his hand and said, Hello you are a good man.  Behind him was my son and I said let's go.

We quickly exited the school and since I parked my car in a no parking zone my car was right in front of us.  We got in and I went straight to the candy store where I rewarded my son with a bag of candy..  Looking back I was a really screwed up parent.  Oh well, the past is the past.

So I return home and hide out in our unfinished basement.  I began to organize my basement like never before.  The TV was on and the rest of my family knew I was tweeking and left me alone.  I was sweeping and moving things from one side of the basement to the other.  Then in the evening about 7 pm; a knock on the door.  It was a female cop.  MY husband answers the door.  They ask for me and Rich comes down stairs and tells me to come to the door.  I sweetly say come on in and sit at my kitchen table and lets have a chat.

We sit down and she states that I went to the school that day and slapped the principal.  I screamed at this cop, " I did not hit anyone" and indeed I had not. However, with my hostile behavior it was as if I slapped a whole bunch of innocent people.  Well, this cop was going to protect herself and reached across the table and grabbed my throat.  I said, calmly with her hand on my throat.  "that's assult" she released my throat and told me to put my hands against the refrigerator.  My family was around the corner in the living room not knowing what would happen next.  I was not going to put my hands against MY Refrigerator and let her hand cuff me,  So instead I put my back to the fridge and faced her; she approached me and I kicked her in the crotch.  Then the pepper spray came out.  She threatened to spray me and my husband; not wanting me to experience pepper spray asked the lady cop.."would you like some help?" At this point I knew I was going in to the station and I was aware enough to surrender at this point and let her hand cuff me.  My poor kids.  I was cuffed with my hands in front of me...a sign that I was finally being compliant.  I closed my eyes and Rich and the cop lead me to the police car.  I know I closed my eyes cuz I did not want to see my children's faces.  There is still great remorse for this incident and I to this day have not discussed it with my kiddos...someday this memory will have to be hashed out...

But for now I am a new person and am living a free woman's life.  A woman devoted to her family and giving them a mom who is involved in their world.  I see now with my youngest 2 children being 13 and 15; time is running out like sand through a bottle.  Care Diem.

My actual experience in seclusion and the jail..are to follow next time.

Comments

  1. Reminds me of when I hid out in the basement from the cops. I was only 10 years old though. Threw a snowball at a car while walking home from school. Didn't know it was the Chief of Police. He screeched to a stop and I ran. But my friend staid behind - probably because it was in front of his house - and told him where I lived. The Chief made me wash his car - in January in Iowa. Brr.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts