How I met Rich Gardner

Before I met Rich, I lived in San Antonio, TX.  I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment.  I lived alone for the first time in my life.  I worked as a substitute teacher when called upon and at night I was a server for Kettle (a worn out Denny's).  On the weekend I worked 12 midnight to 8 am as a night watchperson for a teen home.  Looking back I was spinning (this is what I call it when I start to get manic but can still maintain a normal life).

I was a new born Christian at the time and I know many times that my faith in Christ kept me alive.  One day around April 1985 my phone rang and it was my mother.  She said, "I have a lot of bad news to tell you- your Aunt Nancy died of a heart attack.  Within 3 days of not knowing nor contacting one another my mother had her own heart attack and was currently in the hospital calling me.

I hung up the phone and sat alone in my living room and it felt as if some force of a "knowing" came from behind me and said "GO".  With my faith I then and still believe it was the Holy Spirit telling me to GO to my mother and help her get her heart healthy again.  So I packed my little Toyota Corolla with all my belongings and sold everything else.  I picked up my sister Nancy in Austin, Texas and went on our way to Maryland.  Nancy was not staying but she did not want me to drive all that way alone and insisted on going along for the ride.  Good memories were made.  I am so glad my sister traveled with me.

My mother was living in Tall Timbers, MD.  Her health was very poor and her eating habits and lifestyle is exactly what put her in such poor health.  No excercize, overeating and to top it off smoking ciggarettes for 30 years.  Well, since my mom needed me- I needed to go as quickly as possible. 

I was a member of Church of Christ in San Antonio and my pastor gave me the phone number and location of a Church of Christ in Maryland.  My first week there I went to the ladies bible study on Tuesday afternoon.  I told the women my story and why I moved there.  The elders wife Lynn called Rich and told him to invite me to the singles bible study that he was leading. Rich called me and asked me to go to the bible study on Thursday night.  I said, "I'll think about it".  That day I had been cleaning my mom's house all day and she said why don't you go to that bible study tonight.  You need a break.  So I left with my hair messy and sweaty and went like I was to the bible study.

I was the first one there and in walked Rich, tall, dark and handsome.  I must admit immediately there was a physical attraction.  However, he walked in with a beautiful blonde woman and I put my ideas for romance aside.  On my way to this bible study I drove by a small town that was very poor and decided on that coming Saturday I would go door knocking and invite people to church.  After the bible study was over I announced my plans of door knocking and invited any one to join me. Rich was the only one who agreed to go along.


Comments

Popular Posts