Love, Lithium and Gun Control

The shooting in Umquoa Oregon has been in the news nationwide this week. It is beyond terrible and shameful. It must be stopped; there must be a solution to these horrific killings. The most effective and reasonable thing that I heard on the radio yesterday is to treat and detect mental illness. There are times people should be put into jail for their actions caused by mental illness. But what would be best is to treat the mentally ill person before they do a crime that could cost their life and any other people. 

How I feel about gun control. It isn't the only answer; if someone wants a gun illegally they can get it. However, a gun should not be put into a mentally ill person's hands. They are unpredictable. We have never had a gun in our home nor will we ever. Guns kill.

Lithium is a common medication to treat bipolar disorder; however it is not the only drug. Lithium is very effective. But it must be more than the medication; the mentally ill person must be surrounded by love of family and friends in order to truly heal and become the kind and loving individual they really want to become.

So what if these mentally ill people do not have access to medication and do not have loved ones in their lives; and addition to both of these the person has been bullied sometime in their past. This is a recipe for disaster of some sort.

I am grateful that I was never bullied in my childhood or adulthood. My Christian faith gave me a guideline to follow. My husband and family loved me through my darkest times. A person going through a mental breakdown could do anything completely out of character and do something they regret forever. As far as gun control yes there needs to be a background check on all individuals and a gun should never be issued to a person with mental illness. Many may disagree with me; but this is what I believe. But the treatment and love for these individuals must be the bigger picture for the solution.

Comments

  1. Nicely stated Barbie. I've never been a gun owner either. Nothing makes me feel less in control than the NRA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ltttle more on that is I also feel strongly that if a peson with mental illness is trying to aquire a gun; threatment, therapy, proper meds and love will make this desire for the gun ownership to dimish completely.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts