Grieving for Danny

This week was packed with surprises. First, my 19 year old daughter that has been 21 since she was 12. Or at least  felt a lot of entitlement, Hence as soon as graduation she was out of here and moved off to San Diego. She is settled there in Ocean Beach. She called and was upset about moving decisions and needed her mama to come out for a weekend visit. I had to be packed and ready to go in less than 24 and THANK GOD I am a real Barbie...I don't wear make up and my clothes are simple. And after all  I am visiting my Vegan Princess in the land by the Sea. I didn't pack any protein food; or any food on for the plane ride. MISTAKE.... So I caved in and bought a tuna sandwich at the airport I'm feeling that a strong force in me doesn't even want to buy any meat ever again then the choice would be simple.

So much has happened in a short week. Joy and I went on a very challenging hike called Cowles Mountain in the San Diego area.  As we were hiking I got a text from a close neighbor of mine asking if I knew where Danny was and that he has been missing for several days. I was so puzzled. Danny is a very strong healthy 33 year old man with a wife and 2 sweet kiddos. Danny runs with my husband every weekend and when we have neighborhood parties he and his family are always a big part of the  excitement.

Joy and I continue to hike; trying to press away any thoughts of the where abouts of Danny and still listen to Joy talk of the quandary of where will be her next move. Then as we are climbing this never ending steep hill that has some gravel spots that are dry and slipping happens if you are not careful. A woman was laying on the side of the road surrounded by her family and sounds of a helicopter were over head. Yes, Joy and I witnessed a live helicopter rescue. It was quite fascinating how accurately and quickly they took her up.

So here we are to being about 1 week ago since Danny died.  First of all Danny is a 33 year old man and went running with my husband  every weekend. Even though Danny was younger;  he and Rich were good running buddies. Rich is 54 and a very strong runner. On the weekend Rich would usually run sprints around the track then after that run a long run. Rich would seek out Danny to go running together. I have never seen Rich pursue a friendship with someone so strongly for the past 27 years I have known my husband.

I realize now what a good friend Rich had in Danny and I did not even fully realize it at the time. So I have purposed in my heart to spend time with her kiddos as much as possible. Nathaniel (5) and Bella (9) are such sweet gentle children. Our neighborhood; is very unique in that we are really there for each other and we have fun parties together. This blessings is something I do not want to take for granted.

Comments

Popular Posts